GET “ALL FORKED UP” AT THE 18TH ANNUAL RIVER FEST!
WIN THE RACE, WIN A NEW PAIR OF CHACOS!
It’s the new must-see event of the River Festival! “All Forked Up” will test your craftsmanship and boating skills (and likely your ability to navigate low flows and river obstacles…). Build your own vessel out of recycled household materials and race down the North Fork of the Gunnison! The race will include kids and adult heats. Adults will be required to race down the river in their boats.
BOAT BUILD NIGHT – Wednesday, May 30 at 6pm at 1st & Grand Ave in Paonia (the warehouse near where the food trucks set up). Please bring your own materials, recyclabes, etc. We will provide some materials and tools, but not enough. We’ll also have expert engineers on hand to guide your designs. And BYOB!
RACE – Saturday, June 2 at 5:00pm at the Paonia River Park during River Fest! Racing from Minnesota Creek Bridge to the boat ramp.
Gather your supplies and design ideas and head on over to build your boat for the raft race which will be held at River Fest on June 2! Local engineers will even be on hand to help you dream up and create your raft! Bring your own materials according to the guidelines posted below.
Age categories: 3-5, 6-8, 9-11, 12-14, 15 and up. (Kids races may be combined depending on number of participants.) PRIZES for each group.
GRAND PRIZES – For the 15 & Up Division, the grand prizes for the fastest raft and most stylish raft will be a gift certificate for Chacos!
1. Vessel must actually float.
2. One person and boat goes from start to finish (if water levels are low, you may be carrying your boat downstream! See below for kids rules*)
3. Build teams can be any size, including one.
4. Pack in and pack out materials.
5. No real raft/boating/tubes or parts allowed.
6. NO hazardous materials such as sharp metal, paint, glass, or styrofoam. Remember: clean river, clean watershed.
7. Recyclables highly encouraged. Some materials suggestions: plastic containers, wood, twine.
*14 and under age groups: vessels will not be ‘manned’, but sent down the river and caught at the finish line.
We will have a raft building station for the kids’ races at River Fest! 15+ races must be completed before River Fest. Build night is primarily for the 15+ group vessels, though everyone welcome!