BACK ONCE AGAIN BY POPULAR DEMAND…..Come join locally famous geologist and WSCC Board Member Dr. Dave Noe for a journey into Delta County’s celebrated and sometimes-berated ‘Dobie badlands! This guided hike will ascend Petrie Mesa to Devils Thumb, where we will enjoy an eagle’s-eye view of Delta and the Gunnison/Uncompahgre River valleys. Dr. Noe will regale us all with the geologic history of this fascinating area, including a tale about a monstrous volcanic explosion in Yellowstone and how it figures into the 640,000-year history of Petrie Mesa!
- Date: Saturday, August 26, 2017
- Meet-up time: 9:00 am
- Meet at the eastern edge of the City Market parking lot, in Delta
- We will car pool to the trailhead at 9:15 am, using high clearance vehicles
- Hike duration: about 4 hours
- No children under 10 years of age
- In the event of rain and mud, hike is subject to postponement
- The hike is only a few miles round trip, but the route follows an unimproved path that is quite steep and arduous in places.
What to bring:
- Hiking shoes, plenty of water, snacks, sunscreen, a sun hat, sunglasses, camera
- A hiking pole is optional but strongly recommended