Many communities with mining legacies are faced with major challenges of transitioning their local economies while also stewarding their lands and watersheds. Creative, community-oriented reclamation can allow for economic, environmental, and recreational opportunities in these communities. The Paonia River Park is a prime example of a successful and sustainable post-mining reclamation project. Formerly an in-stream gravel mine, the Paonia River Park is now a fully functioning public-access park with a boat ramp, beach and swimming holes, picnic areas, and ADA accessible features.
Why Should You Join Us?
Learn how communities can tackle the issues of mine reclamation and river restoration, while addressing diverse community needs and allowing for economic opportunities.
- Tour the Paonia River Park!
- Learn about the technical aspects of river restoration and mine reclamation
- Hear the impacts of the park from community members
- Discuss WSCC’s lessons learned and hear case studies from other restoration projects across Colorado
- Network with community leaders and restoration professionals from across the region
- Leave with an overall sense of what it takes to undergo a community-directed reclamation project
- Float with us down the North Fork of the Gunnison during our 17th Annual Float Fest on June 3!
- More information and pictures of the Paonia River Park here!
When: Workshop – June 1-2, 2017; River Festival + Float – June 3
Cost: Workshop – $125; River Festival + Float – $30
Location: Paonia, Colorado – Check out the Paonia Chamber of Commerce for local lodging information. Interested in camping? Contact email@example.com for more details.
Food and Logistics: Registration includes catered lunches, refreshments, and Thursday Happy Hour hors d’oeuvres and brews at Wisehart Springs Inn.
Register Below – Only a few spots remaining!
****DEADLINE EXTENDED TO MAY 24****
-Registration includes lunch on Thursday and Friday, an evening networking reception on Thursday, June 1 with beverages provided by Ska Brewing.
-There are a limited number of scholarships available. Click here to apply for a Workshop Scholarship. Deadline to apply is May 12. Recipients will be notified no later than May 18.
-Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.