Position Announcement: Watershed Coordinator
Location: Western Slope Conservation Center
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three reference contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: Posted until position filled
Position Summary: The Watershed Coordinator is a full-time exempt staff position with the Western Slope Conservation Center, a small grassroots organization that has been carrying out watershed stewardship, public lands advocacy, and education for the last 40 years.
Coordinator will work under the direct supervision of the Executive Director. Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating various watershed projects and programs including ongoing assessments, monitoring, restoration, and recreation development associated with the North Fork of the Gunnison River, the Lower Gunnison River, and their tributaries.
Coordinator will also support continued grant development, communications, and outreach associated with WSCC watershed programming. The Watershed Coordinator will collaborate with WSCC staff, board, and volunteers. Schedule will vary day-to-day and week-to-week, with a minimum of 40-hour weeks. The position will include occasional traveling within the region.
The Conservation Center offices are located in the idyllic agricultural mountain town of Paonia at the base of the West Elk Mountains. The North Fork Valley is a rare gem of high quality rural living with unparalleled access to public lands and outdoor recreation including backcountry skiing, rafting, running, and biking. It also boasts the highest density of organic farms in the state of Colorado and the highest elevation viticultural area in the country.
- Program Coordination: Collaborate with Executive Director, WSCC contractors, and partners to develop and implement watershed assessments, plans, and projects.
- Develop creative and strategic approaches for stakeholder outreach and partnerships
- Complete ongoing assessment activities
- Lead implementation of existing watershed assessments, plans, and projects
- Coordinate with staff and contractors on WSCC-led projects, including restoration, access, and signage projects within the watershed
- Program Development: Collaborate with Executive Director, WSCC contractors, and partners to develop and strengthen WSCC partnerships with various watershed stakeholders
- Coordinate participation and engagement in the Colorado Water Conservation Board Gunnison Basin Roundtable and implementation of statewide initiatives
- Support WSCC watershed committee, including attending watershed committee meetings, providing staff assistance as necessary, and supporting watershed committee events and outreach
- Grant Management and Development: Lead coordination of ongoing grant reporting; identify and coordinate acquisition of additional grant funding for future WSCC watershed programs
- Communication & Outreach: Promote and publicize all WSCC watershed projects and programs using traditional and social media outlets; organize educational watershed events as appropriate; support WSCC staff and board in organizing other educational events as needed
- Volunteer Management: In coordination with volunteers, develop training protocol and resources for new and returning River Watch volunteers; recruit additional volunteers
- Collaborative, outgoing, personable, and enthusiastic
- Excellent writing, speaking and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and office skills
- Proven experience with grant writing, management, and reporting
- Ability to work independently and self-directed as part of a high-functioning team
- Strong commitment to watershed conservation and stewardship — with previous coordination experience in the Gunnison Basin preferred
Compensation and benefits: This is a full-time exempt position requiring some evenings and weekends. Benefits include taxable health stipend, paid holidays and time off. Personal vehicle required, with travel reimbursed at the federal rate. Additional non-financial benefits include the opportunity to live and work in a spectacular rural mountain location with a high quality of life and affordable living costs.