The Western Slope Conservation Center is seeking applications for year two of our Outreach on the Western Slope VISTA.
The Western Slope Conservation Center is a 43 year old grassroots non-profit organization based in Paonia, Colorado that builds an active and aware community to protect and enhance the lands, air, water, and wildlife of the Lower Gunnison Watershed.
The Community Outreach for the Western Slope VISTA project will address both the economic and environmental impacts of past mining by building the outreach program to engage the community in watershed stewardship initiatives.
We are seeking an organized, highly self-motivated individual with skills in volunteer coordination, event planning, social media marketing, leadership and grant-writing.
In no particular order, VISTA member duties include:
- Working with staff to develop partnerships to identify & implement habitat mitigation projects.
- Assisting in the implementation of the North Fork River Stakeholder Group to identify, prioritize, & secure funding for new multi-purpose watershed restoration projects.
- Assisting in the preparation & submission of grant & sponsorship proposals to secure funding.
- Working with Executive Director & Development Committee to develop strategic fundraising campaigns.
- Working with the Executive Director to improve organizational system for volunteer and membership management
- Improving planning and management of WSCC events.
- Assisting in the coordination of WSCC communications to engage membership & the broader community
- Collaborating with Staff and Outreach Committee to create Annual Newsletter.
- Enhancing partnerships to improve community access to the river.
- Tracking performance measures monthly for WSCC board updates and reporting quarterly for Stewards.
Goals of the project are to develop watershed restoration projects, assist in the creation of a robust volunteer and member engagement program, and deepen relationships between the community, local businesses, municipalities, and land management agencies. One primary focus of the program is to engage the community and inspire new conservation leaders.
The Community Outreach VISTA will leverage a database of meaningful opportunities for the community to participate in hands-on projects. The VISTA will sustain educational events and seek to create new ways to effectively communicate with our membership and reach new and diverse audiences. Through close collaboration with the Outreach Committee, the Watershed Coordinator, and the Executive Director, the VISTA will form and deepen relationships between the community and local municipalities, businesses, and government agencies to create and sustain new opportunities for habitat mitigation, stewardship, and recycling. This individual will also assist with a stakeholder group for comprised of consumptive and non-consumptive water users to develop relationships and make recommendations for multi-purpose projects along the North Fork of the Gunnison River.
All applications must be completed through the Americorps portal. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or jmaurednik@conservationlegacy.