Position Title: Executive Director
Position Summary: The Executive Director leads the Western Slope Conservation Center (WSCC) in pursuit of its mission to build a community to conserve the lands, air, water and wildlife of the Lower Gunnison River watershed. This is a full-time, exempt staff position.
Key responsibilities include land and water programmatic leadership, fundraising (both donor and grants), financial management, staff management and development, board development, communications, and marketing. The Executive Director works under the guidance and supervision of the Board of Directors and collaborates with WSCC staff, board, and volunteers.
The WSCC seeks a dynamic leader who is mission-driven, hardworking, and a creative problem-solver. WSCC is committed to creating a diverse team that reflects our whole community of constituents. We strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds who meet the core competencies of this position to apply.
Salary: $60,000-$70,000 — based upon experience and with growth opportunities
Organizational Leadership & Management
- Manage, assign and delegate duties, and coach WSCC staff (3+ person mix of full time, part time and intern), including making hiring decisions
- Provide executive support for the Board of Directors
- Facilitate effective communication and coordination between all levels of the organization, including members, volunteers, staff, and board
- Seek out and maintain relationships with diverse stakeholders including members, local, state, and federal government officials, and partner organizations
- Recruit volunteers, manage volunteer committees, maintain volunteer database and supervise committee and program development
- Represent WSCC publicly at events, community meetings, and media engagements
- Manage and delegate organizational systems and day-to-day operations of WSCC
Development and Financial Management
- Manage an annual operating budget of approximately $250k as well as large, multi year, restricted grants, direct annual budgeting process, meet monthly with the treasurer and finance committee and manage fiscal operations per policy and procedures to meet budget
- Lead donor cultivation strategy in coordination with the development committee and the board
- Oversee grants, including identification, proposal writing, acquisition, management, and reporting
- Supervise and delegate grant writing needs for both programmatic and organizational grant applications
- Coordinate grant reporting systems and effective report completion
- Maintain strong relationships with grant funders and major donors
- Maintain and expand income streams to meet annual budget
- Supervise effective membership outreach and recruitment
- Coordinate with Accountant to carry out day-to-day financial management
Program Development & Leadership
- Collaborate with staff and committee chairs to support strategic program management and leadership of Public Lands, Watershed, and Education programming
- Delegate and support coordination of monthly program committee meetings, committee leadership management, and committee communication systems
- Assure that WSCC programming seeks to engage the diversity of our community, is inclusive and is conscious of equity
Communication & Outreach
- Develop and improve communication systems for the organization, including traditional and social media platforms
- Supervise daily implementation of communication systems at all levels of the organization; as necessary, provide direct support for communication content development including emails, website, social media, press release, and other materials
- Develop and implement best management practices for diversity, equity, and inclusion in our outreach and communications
- Develop and maintain relationships with partner organizations creating a network of both traditional and non-traditional partnerships that support the mission.
Core Competencies (essential):
- 3-5 years of relevant professional experience in environmental nonprofit management, program leadership or fundraising
- Ability to work independently, be self-directed, and lead a high-functioning team
- Work and life experience commensurate with described position responsibilities
- Empathetic and inclusive approach to community-based conservation work and ability to work with diverse backgrounds and perspectives to implement the WSCC mission
- Exceptional work ethic, mentorship skills, integrity, personal motivation, and commitment to the WSCC mission
- Excellent writing, public speaking, and interpersonal skills
- Exceptional organizational and office skills including technological proficiency with common office software and online platforms
- Willingness to live in a small, vibrant, and rural community with minimal amenities of urban areas
Ideal Candidate Attributes (desirable):
- Conservation experience in Colorado or the Colorado Plateau
- Established networks with the conservation, political, and/or granting communities in Colorado
- Flexible and creative approach to prioritizing and accomplishing the work
- Collaborative, outgoing, personable, and enthusiastic
- Experience and commitment to implementing justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives
- Education or relevant work experience in environmental science, advocacy, non-profit management, public policy or related fields
- Spanish language skills
Employee Benefits: 10 paid holidays, paid-time-off (PTO), flexible work schedule, parental leave, professional development, and retirement plan match. Personal vehicle required with travel reimbursed at federal rate.
Work Schedule: The Executive Director’s schedule is flexible (as coordinated with the Board of Directors), varying day-to-day and week-to-week, and based upon a minimum of 40-hour full-time work weeks. Flexibility allows for personal or family commitments and balancing work and life. Some nights and weekend work are necessary due to meeting and event schedules. The position includes frequent travel within the region.
To apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to [email protected]. Position is open until filled. Please, no phone inquiries.